5 Ways To A Closer Relationship With God
Every week you have 168 hours to use.
If you work 40-50 hours a week, and spent 68 hours sleeping and eating, that would give you a total of 50-60 hours left to live the rest of your life.
Studies show that the average person spends 24 hours watching TV. If you add any family time and personal activity in there, how much does that leave for God?
Here’s how to draw closer to God, and find one of the greatest things you will every experience: your purpose in life.
Here are 5 ways to a closer relationship with God:
1. Start your morning off strong – As best as I can tell, Jesus spent every morning talking with God before He did anything else. If that was best for Him, shouldn’t it be for us? Every morning Jesus received blessing, and guidance, and love, and self-worth from God. Make sure you are as well!
2. Become a student – Every person needs a mentor or two. What greater area of your life to give focus to? Find someone who has a great relationship with God and ask for them to teach you how to do the same. Notice that I didn’t say find someone who attends church a lot…doing “church” or “religion” doesn’t mean you have a great relationship with your Father in Heaven.
3. Set healthy boundaries – In 7 Signs You Self-Sabotage I shared that when you don’t have healthy boundaries, you allow people to manipulate you, take advantage of you, and abuse you. The very lack of healthy boundaries also keeps you from an intimate relationship with God. How? It’s actually quite simple – people without boundaries aren’t getting their strength, self-esteem, self-worth, confidence, etc. from God. Start by reading the book Boundaries! This is a great first step in taking care of YOU.
4. Worship Him like never before– I shared that the Jewish people believe, as well as I, that worshiping God is what you do during the week with his Children through your mode of work. In other words, if I do a great job during the week taking care of my clients and my followers, then I’m worshiping God. That in itself should absolutely change the way you look at your work. Focus everyday on what you can do to take care of God’s children, and I truly believe He will delight in it.
5. Keep the relationship open – Prayer is not something you just do in the morning, or when you eat, it should be continuous. As 1 Thes 5:17 says, “Pray without ceasing”. Saying Amen doesn’t mean that your communication with God is now done until the next meal. You grow your relationships with people by open communication, you should focus that even more when growing your relationship with God. Talk to him in all things.
Key Action Items:
- How to calculate your remaining hours [2:25]
- How to start your morning off strong with God [5:57]
- Spot spiritual leaders to help you grow closer to God [11:55]
- Guard yourself from the actions that put your focus on “man,” not God [15:38]
- Understand the Jewish Model of Worship (it’s not praise music) [18:45]
- Learn what it means to be in continuous communication with God [21:04]
- Get guidance on where to start to grow closer to God, and my partial morning routine [24:45]